Couples wishing to marry must give 6 months notice to the priest and undertake a course of Marriage Preparation.
The couples wanting information about getting married in any of the parishes of the Guildford Cluster, or who live in the boundaries of the parishes, please send a written request to the priest at:
St Joseph's Church
12 Eastgate Gardens
With the following information:
- Complete names, address & contact numbers, including email address.
- Date when plan to get married and place
Upon receipt of this information the priest will contact you to make an appointment.
Some Important Information
- In the Diocese of Arundel & Brighton it is required that at least six months notice of an intention to marry must be given to the parish.
- Your parish is the local catholic church which has pastoral responsibility for the area in which you live.
- Evidence of completion of the Marriage Preparation Course. (see below)
- A copy of the Baptismal Certificate must be produced by all Roman Catholics. This must be a new copy as it also acts as a certificate of freedom to marry. (You can obtain this from the church where you were baptised. It is a kindness to enclose a stamped addressed envelope when you write.)
- Further evidence of freedom to marry may be required. (The priest will advise)
- For baptised Christians of other denominations, a baptismal Certificate or other evidence must be provided.
- Permission from the State for your marriage to take place.
Marriage Preparation Course
Courses for engaged couples who are living within the Guildford cluster of parishes and who are preparing for Marriage.
When does the course run?
The Guildford parishes run 2 courses each year, one in February/March and another in September/October. They are led by a team of five married couples and take place in St Joseph’s Hall.
There are 4 sessions and it is important to attend them all as each one covers a different topic. The first three sessions are held weekly, usually on a Wednesday evening, from 8.00 – 10.00 pm. The final session is held during the day on the Sunday following the third session and includes a Blessing of Engagement at either the 11.00 am or 6.30 pm mass. Each course will typically have about 12 couples. We try where possible to make alternative arrangements for couples who have problems with course dates.
Who do I contact to enquire about the course?
We ask that you please contact the priest first (see above) before making further enquiries regarding this course.
Course co-ordinator: Tina Nichols
Tel: 01483 564967
What does the course cover?
The sessions cover:
- “How well you know one another”,
- “Communication and Problem Solving”,
- “Loving Relationships and Parenthood,
- “Marriage as Sacrament and Covenant”.
Is there a charge?
There is no charge for the course although couples are asked at the final session if they would like to make a small voluntary donation towards the costs of refreshments etc.
(an administration fee of £50 is asked if your wedding is not taking place in the Guildford Catholic Parishes)
Do we get a certificate?
A Certificate of Attendance is provided for all couples who complete the course.